This week we have been in the Washington D.C. area for our largest Exceedance yet. It’s been a great few days, action packed with presentations, meetings in The Lab, and evening networking receptions. We hope that our guests are enjoying all the informative sessions and have gotten a chance to unwind at the evening receptions.
At RMS, we’re celebrating our 25th anniversary this year, and will be celebrating in style at the EP, our annual Exceedance Party, held at the International Trade Center this evening.
A few highlights from the ground:
We are very proud to have 20 customer speakers participating in the conversations at Exceedance throughout keynotes, breakout sessions, and Mini Theatre presentations. This is an important part of what Exceedance is to RMS—a time for the industry to meet and discuss pressing topics and learn from each other.
We had a brilliant line-up of keynotes this year, including:
- Our very own Hemant Shah, RMS co-founder and CEO, who kicked off Exceedance by sharing some of RMS’ history to commemorate the 25-year anniversary
- Trevor Maynard, head of exposure management and reinsurance at Lloyd’s of London, who discussed model uncertainties
- Dr. Solomon Hsiang, climate risk expert, who discussed extreme climates and their systematic connection to social conflict and violence
- Dr. Robert Muir-Wood, RMS chief research officer, who presented on the five dimensions of earthquakes
- Dr. Claire Souch, senior vice president of business solutions at RMS, who shared the model development agenda and discussed HD modeling
In addition to the keynote presentations, we made a few very exciting announcements this week at Exceedance. In particular, we announced five new model partners that are making their models available on RMS(one)!
Mario Ordaz, president of ERM, joined our chief products officer, Paul VanderMarck, on stage to discuss his company’s experiences implementing their models on RMS(one). You can read more in Paul’s blog post welcoming model partners.
Another exciting element of Exceedance is The Lab, with 12 demo stations that allowed attendees to get hands-on experience with RMS(one), meet the experts, and watch various Mini Theatre sessions throughout the breaks. Attendees could also get demos from a couple of our developer partners, including Spatial Key and DiDi, whose apps leverage the RMS(one) API.
For the first time this year, we had a developer track during Exceedance. The hands-on sessions were standing-room-only with developers trying out the RMS(one) API and MDK. We also held the first-ever RMS(one) Hackathon, which challenged developers to create apps using the RMS(one) API in under 24 hours. The finalists presented their apps to a crowded room this afternoon. Read this blog post that provides details on the apps and the winner!
Thank you to all attendees who joined us this week. We look forward to seeing you at next year’s Exceedance, which will take place April 27-30, 2015 at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach Hotel in Miami, Florida.